Go underground. If you are an explorer, then Happy Jack Chalk Mine in Scotia is your kind of place.
You won’t find anything else like it. It’s the only underground tour of a chalk mine in North America.
Spectacular views from above.
If you are an avid hiker, then we have the trail for you. A narrow little trail with steps leads your imagination through Nebraska’s most scenic views. Native grasses and winding trails provide an exhilarating experience for those up to the challenge. At 2057 ft. the views of the North Loup River Valley are spectacular.
Good old fashioned fun–picnicking, history, and an experience to remember for the entire family.
Happy Jack is a well-known hiking and picnicking destination in Nebraska.
- The mine is cool inside which is great when it is hot outside.
- A great stop for an educational tour of the underground chalk mine with various fossilized imprints on the cave walls, visible traces of sand dollars and bats!
- The tour guides are friendly. You will learn about the history of the cave and what it was used for in the past.
- The kids get to take home a chalk sample from the cave.
- The mine is open daily from 10 am – 5 pm. Open Memorial Day and Labor Day. The grounds around the mine are open from dawn to dusk.
- Admission to mine: $6.50 adults, $5.25 senior citizens and children ages 5-12, ages 4 & under free admission.
- Group rates available.
- Annual membership: $45/family, $15/single.
- Admission to grounds is free.
- Offseason tours are available by appointment.
- Call 308-245-3276
- Email HappyJack@nctc.net